Chopyak-Scheider Funeral Home, Inc. has been serving the Greater Binghamton area, formerly named, “The Triple Cities” since 1931. We are located centrally in Broome County, within the rich historical area of the First Ward of Binghamton.
Founded by Mrs. Joseph (Susan) Chopyak, a licensed New York State Undertaker and Embalmer, the funeral home was originally located on Clinton Street across from St. Michael’s Carpatho-Rusyn Greek Catholic Church. The funeral home served the Eastern European immigrant population which resided in the surrounding locale.
In 1940, the Chopyak family moved their funeral business to the present location at 326 Prospect Street, Binghamton which was at that time a single-family residence, which was remodeled for use as a funeral home.
Susan's daughter, Mildred Chopyak, also a licensed New York State Funeral Director, joined the business in 1950 and wed William E. Scheider in 1951. Mr. Scheider was a South Side resident of Binghamton, whose family owned Scheider's Market on Park Avenue.
In 1963, the facilities underwent major renovations involving the excavation for a smoking/sitting room and restrooms on a lower level, enclosing the front porch for the stone stepped entrance, a larger viewing room and office and a parking lot in front of the property. During that decade, Mildred became the owner and continued to oversee the business.
In 1978, William J. "Bill" Scheider joined his mother and grandmother, becoming the third generation of funeral professionals in the family business and the funeral business became the Chopyak-Scheider Funeral Home, Inc.
On the golden anniversary of the funeral home in 1981, Bill began to purchase the funeral home business and property from his mother.
In 1985, under Bill's direction, the funeral home became the exclusive Triple Cities representative for the Lofty Oaks Program, which memorializes a loved one with the planting of a tree in New York State. (over two thousand trees as of today)
In 1988, major renovations were completed to the facilities including joining the garage to the main building and installing the area’s only modular casket, urn, outer interment receptacle and other funeral merchandise selection room, a state of art preparation room, a central heat and air conditioning system, a security/fire alarm system, and the expansion of the viewing rooms with updated furnishings.